Monday, September 04, 2006

i feel the rain

I was close to tears as I drove home Wednesday night of last week after coming to the intersection of Aycock St and Lee St. As I sat in the left turn lane and watched two homeless men cut through the parking lot of Leon's Beauty Salon. This was the day Greensboro got 2" of rain. One of the men was pretty young (30's?), but his companion looked to be in his 50's, and was quite frail. Neither man had an umbrella, poncho, or anything, and both were soaked from the torrential rains that had been coming down for well over an hour. It was around 6:30pm, which meant it was too late for them to go to the Wednesday night dinner, cutting out that option of shelter, even if it would only be for an hour or so.

I was upset for lots of reasons...
...because the two men were stuck in the rain
...because if they got sick as a result, they probably wouldn't have health insurance
...because my annoyance at my leaking car pales in comparison
...because my friend Bo sleeps outside every night
...because I felt helpless

I am reminded of this passage...while it is hard to reconcile this with the occurrences I see in my neighborhood everyday, I know that it is true. I know that our friends are not forgotten.

Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from the will of your Father. And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. So don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows. Matthew 10:29-31

1 Comments:

Blogger Suzanne said...

Dayna it bring tears to my eyes as I read your entry and relize that in my heart I have begun to be hard, blinded, I really don't know the right word for it. It all seems like to much at the time and I feel hopeless as well. YET you write truth that our Savior does know all and that not one sparrow falls without His knowing.

Continue to stay tender and weep for those who are hurting, continueing to lift them up in prayer to our Savior and reaching out with our own two hands.

Love you my sister, humbled once again as Jesus begin to soften my heart today and hold my hand as I begin to feel again.

12:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home