Monday, October 22, 2007

MOVE ON...





There is crime in the hood. One of my friends responses to a request for prayer, we will pray that they MOVE ON.

A “No Loitering” Sign is placed in a strategic place to MOVE ON the homeless that wait at the corner of Lee and Eugene in hopes for a job and to be able to go into Urban Ministries for a meal or Salvation Army for a place to sleep.

MOVE ON… is that helpful? Where are they to MOVE ON too? Yes, I agree that this is helpful to the business that is trying to start up. No small business owner wants a homeless crowd on his corner. The city doesn’t want them there for they are trying to make a “Gateway to Greensboro” that is appealing to the eye. When visitors come into our city they will see a well kept area of town as they come off 85 but will they realize all the people that were displaced for their pleasure?

MOVE ON…Yes, there is crime and it seems to be rising but why would I want it to MOVE ON? So that I feel safe? So that I do not worry as I drop off young girls in the evenings and tell them to quickly go inside and to wave at me to let me know that someone else is home with them. Yes I want to be safe. Yes, I do not want any more of our kids to join the active gangs in the area. Yes, I want us to be able to play at the park with out running into dealers.

But…NO, I do not want them to MOVE ON to another area of town to destroy others lives and their own. No I do not wish that the kids that are causing trouble to be picked up and kept in jail until they are 18. I want them to be reached. I want the young girls (12-18) that have joined gangs b/c of a longing for a family to find it in the church. I want us as a Church to step up and to invite the prostitutes into our women fellowships.

To some this posting may seem naive or even hopeless. A young women wishing into the winds. But my heart it not for my neighbors to MOVE ON it is for God to move upon our city. To soften our (my) hearts and the ones committing crimes these crimes as well.

Let us not ask those that are homeless in our city to become as nomads, always moving and leaving.

These are my thoughts tonight… Who am I to pray for the hurt and the displaced in this world to MOVE ON?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've said it before and I'll say it again: When I'm elected Mayor of Greensboro I will work to help Greensboro's homeless instead of making criminals out of them simply because they are homeless. Greensboro is hiding unbelieveable wealth, it's time that wealth was put to good use. We can feed, cloth, educate, shelter and empower Greensboro's homeless, we simply have to open the minds of those who guard our money for their own gain.

I too have been without a home, I know how hard it is when laws are made for no other reason than to attack the homeless.

7:57 AM  
Blogger Marshall said...

Great post, Suzanne. Thanks for writing your heart.

9:40 AM  
Blogger IJK said...

Great Post, but very difficult to read the purple against the black background.
Cheerily
IJK

6:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow! Well written and thanks for the truth. I can see this from the side of the law being a paramedic. There is no hope in the law. Law just brings death--what a great picture of this.

9:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home